Chef’s knives are one of the most versatile kitchen tool. While other knives have more specialized uses, a good chef’s knife can do it all, from slicing and dicing to more complicated tasks, like carving a chicken and cutting a pineapple.
When shopping for chef’s knives, just remember it is an investment you need to make. An investment in your ability to cook or cook better and in your ability to attain a new level of enjoyment from the culinary arts. And if you want to grow as a great chef, then having quality chef’s knives is very important.
When it comes to chef’s knives, you can’t beat a great German or Japanese blade. From dicing onions to slicing potatoes and carving pumpkins, chef’s knives do the jobs of many by doubling as a versatile all-in-one cooking tool.
- 1 Choosing the Best Chef Knife
- 2 Things to Consider When Purchasing a Chef Knife
- 3 Cooking Mastery
- 4 WÜSTHOF Classic 8 Inch Chef’s Knife,Black,8-Inch
- 5 J.A. Henckels International Classic Chef Knife
- 6 Global G-48-7 inch, 18cm Santoku Hollow Ground Knife
- 7 Misen 8 Inch Chef Knife – High Carbon Steel Ultra Sharp, Blue
- 8 Shun Classic Blonde 6 Inch Chef Knife
- 9 Mac Knife Professional 8 Inch Hollow Edge Chef Knife
- 10 Victorinox VIC-7 Grand Maitre 8 Inch Chef’s Knife
- 11 Mercer Culinary M23510 Renaissance 8-Inch Forged Chef’s Knife
- 12 KRAMER by ZWILLING EUROLINE Essential Collection 8″ Chef’s Knife
- 13 Conclusion
Choosing the Best Chef Knife
You can find chef’s knives in two general styles: Japanese and German. They’re not as different as you might expect (and many knives combine aspects of both styles!). Here are the main differences:
Most German chef’s knives are heavy and thick, especially at the bolster (where the blade meets the handle). German knives have thicker blades that tend to be curved to facilitate rocking and are made from softer steel, so you’ll need to sharpen frequently.
Western-style Japanese chef’s knives are known for their light weight and razor sharp blade, which makes them ideal for slicing vegetables like cucumbers and tuna. Because the blades are crafted from harder steel they stay sharpened longer, but are more prone to chipping or cracking.
Things to Consider When Purchasing a Chef Knife
When you’re shopping for the chef’s knives, it’s worth holding them and getting a feel for them before buying. The best chef’s knife for someone is largely based on preference.
The Handle: The handles are made of different materials. Some are made of wood or wood composite, some are plastic, and some are metal. Each type of handle can feel different, and you will want one that feels right in your hands. The handle of a knife affects the cost, weight and quality of a blade.
The Tang: The tang is the part of the blade that extends into the handle of the knife. It is the surface to which the handle attaches to the blade. A knife with a full tang is more easily balanced.
The Bolster: The bolster is the band that joins the blade of the knife to its handle. The bolster provides balance for the knife and also helps to protect the hand from getting in the way of the knife edge.
The following chef’s knives are all made of quality material. And any of them would make a great addition to your kitchen.
Inside this eBook, you will discover the topics about the well equipped kitchen, be wary of the latest trends, how to find the best deals, secrets of outdoor cooking recipes, learn to cook Italian food on vacation, cooking with a Dutch oven, recipes of Italian vegetarian cooking, a wonderful experience with outdoor cooking burners and so much more.
88 Page eBook
Before we get into the knives, if you find this article helpful please leave a comment. And to keep informed of our newest posts, sign up for our newsletter and claim your free cookbook. Also follow us on social media, we would love to hear from you.
So let us look at these 9 chef’s knives and see which would be the best for you.
Wüsthof”s Classic Chef’s Knife is the workhorse of the kitchen, or the essential kitchen knife. The Chef’s knife is an indispensable all-purpose kitchen knife that can be used for chopping, mincing, slicing and dicing. Due to the weight and balance of the knife, it is also perfect for heavy duty work such as cutting thicker vegetables and meats.
- Precision-forged, full tang knife
- Contoured handle for optimal comfort
- Full bolster and finger guard
- Hand-honed for razor-like sharpness
- Tempered to 58⁰ Rockwell
- Limited lifetime warranty
The Henckels International CLASSIC 8″ Chef’s Knife boasts a precision, fine-edge blade that is honed for long-lasting sharpness. Chop potatoes, dice apples, mince shallots and slice salmon effortlessly.
High-quality German stainless steel strengthens this durable, Spanish-made knife. With a seamless transition from blade to handle, the knife’s fully forged construction provides balance as the traditional triple-rivet handle encourages tireless cutting.
- Fabricated from high quality German stainless steel.
- Fully forged construction offers durability and a seamless transition from blade to handle
- Professional, satin finished blade boasts Precision cutting and is finely honed for long lasting sharpness
- Ergonomic, traditional triple rivet handle that surrounds a full tang and gives balance and comfort
- Large sized 8 inch multi purpose chef’s knife for chopping, mincing, slicing and dicing.
- Made of stain resistant carbon steel that’s hot drop forged for durability
- Full bolster provides weight and ensures safety
This Global G-48-7 inch, 18cm Santoku Hollow Ground Knife with its hollow ground blade is ideal for chopping and slicing vegetables, meat, and fish. Use it to tenderize and slice perfect strips of sashimi or to mince herbs for your gourmet dish.
The blade is crafted from a specially developed steel which has undergone a special process to produce a blade with an unprecedented edge retention. This knife also has a stainless steel handle that grips easily in your hand.
- All-purpose 7-inch hollow-ground Santoku knife for chopping, dicing, and slicing
- Blade made of high-tech molybdenum/vanadium Stainless steel
- Face-ground with long taper so edge remains sharp longer
- Stainless-steel handle molded for Comfort and dimpled for safe grip
The Misen Chef knife is made with a razor sharp high carbon steel blade with a blue clad handle. It has been designed using top grade Japanese steel and has a razor sharp edge that will last for many years of professional use. The knife comes in a handmade sheath which is not only beautiful but functional.
- Perfectly balanced and ultra sharp
- The cooking knife is crafted from AICHI AUS-10 steel which offers a superior balance between long lasting sharpness and durability
- A distinctive sloped bolster shape encourages a proper and safer “pinch grip” for better comfort and control.
The Shun Classic Blonde 6 inch Chef’s Knife combines premium agility and finesse with high utility and professional versatility. The wide blade keeps knuckles off the cutting board.
With its curved belly, this chef’s knife can be gently “rocked” through fresh herbs or spices to produce a very fine mince.
Shun Classic Blonde’s thin, sharp blade makes it lighter and less tiring to use. Best for meat, fish, or vegetables, the refined and accurate cuts enabled by Shun knives may lead to some of the best cooking (and eating) experiences you and your guests will ever have.
- With a high-carbon VG-MAX steel cutting core and 34 layers of Damascus cladding, the do-it-all Shun Classic Blonde Chef’s Knife is a cut above typical French kitchen knives.
- The beautifully modern, D-shaped, blonde Pakka wood handle encases the full composite tang blade for balance, reducing unwanted rotation and improving grip for right and left-handed chefs alike.
- The shape of a traditional Western chef knife with the profile and lightweight design of a Japanese knife provides added endurance, exquisite cutting power, and easy rocking, mincing, slicing and dicing.
- Handcrafted in Japan, this kitchen knife is ground and honed to a razor sharp 16-degree edge out of the box. It’s balanced immediately forward of the bolster like most Shun knives for superior handling.
This 8″ knife is commonly used for home and professional kitchens. The thin blade and bolster allows you to easily cut and slice almost any food. This knife features dimples which help cut foods like apples and squash.
- Dimples help the knife to glide through sticky foods such as potatoes, apples, and summer squash
- Lightweight. Knife Length- 12.63 inches
- Pakka wood handle. Blade thickness – 2.5 mm
- Made In Japan
A rock solid heritage, exacting commitment to Swiss precision and a consistent focus on quality and innovation are the absolute cornerstones of our business. Founded on integrity and family values, today we operate in over ten countries worldwide.
The original Swiss Army knife, created by Karl Lesner in 1897, embodies the essence of Victoriana. Directional, intrepid and pioneering on the global stage, today Our international brand spans five product categories: Swiss Army knives, cutlery, watches, travel gear and fragrances.
- Dependable, sturdy, easy to carry
- Great for everyday use
- Swiss made precision
The Mercer M23510 Renaissance knife proves that good things do come in small packages. This forged 8-inch chef’s knife offers the same oversized handle as its larger counterparts, for a comfortable and secure grip during use.
A convex grind on the blade helps the chef push ingredients through for fast and efficient cutting while providing superior edge retention and creating a smoother transition between the heel and tip of the blade than other knives on the market.
- Triple-riveted, ergonomically designed Delrin handle. One-piece precision forged construction. Rounded spine for comfort grip.
- Shortened bolster exposes full blade edge, allowing for easier sharpening
- Full tang runs the entire length of the handle for superior balance
- High-carbon, stain-resistant German cutlery steel resists rust, corrosion, and discoloration
- Taper-ground edge allows for added stability, easy honing, long lasting sharpness, and increased efficiency when cutting and chopping
The KRAMER by ZWILLING EUROLINE 8″ Chef’s Knife is an all-purpose chef’s knife that can be used for cutting, chopping, and slicing fruits, vegetables, and proteins.
Made out of high-carbon stainless steel, this chef’s knife is designed to efficiently chop through a wide variety of foods while maintaining its edge for a long time.
- Manufactured in Seki, Japan
- FC61 fine-carbide steel
- Designed to Master Bladesmith Bob Kramer’s exacting specifications
- Traditional 3-step hand sharpening for exceptionally high sharpness
- Polished bolster and full tang construction for perfect balance, Handcrafted, signature Bob Kramer handle
As you can see, each of these chef’s knives are not only high quality, but they can become an essential tool in your kitchen. When I was shopping for chef’s knives, I wanted something that would last for a long time. I finally decided on the Mac Knife Professional 8 Inch Hollow Edge Chef Knife and I haven’t been let down yet.
But any of the chef’s knives listed above would be a great addition to your kitchen.
I hope this guide on the best chef’s knives will help you in your shopping endeavor. Until next time, take care and stay safe.