These Chicken Enchiladas are spicy and a little sweet with a hint of jalapeno and lots of cheese, this baked version is a take on a Mexican favorite that dates back to the Aztecs.
- 1 The ingredients
- 2 Prepare the Chicken
- 3 How to assemble the chicken enchiladas
- 4 How to bake it
- 5 The final touches
- 6 How To Make The Best Chicken Enchiladas Ever
- 7 Nutrition Facts
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 small Yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 2 Chicken breasts (1 lb.), boneless and skinless, diced into ½-inch cubes
- 2 medium Jalapeño peppers, finely chopped
- ½ tsp Salt (or to taste)
- ¼ tsp Ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 c Red enchilada sauce (homemade or store-bought), divided
- 8 Flour tortillas
- 2 ½ c Cheese (Mexican blend, cheddar, mozzarella or Monterey Jack cheese), shredded
- Fresh cilantro, finely chopped (for serving)
- Sour cream (for serving)
Prepare the Chicken
- Heat oil in a large skillet for 2 minutes over medium high heat until sizzling hot. Add onion and sauté until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add diced chicken and stir well to cook evenly until fully cooked through, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add jalapeño, salt, pepper and 2 tablespoons of enchilada sauce. Stir well until evenly combined. Set it aside.
How to assemble the chicken enchiladas
- Add and evenly spread 2 tablespoons of enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9×13 baking pan.
- Evenly spread 1-2 tablespoons of enchilada sauce on each tortilla wrap.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup shredded cheese across the center, and add 2 tablespoons of the chicken mixture on top.
- Carefully roll up each tortilla wrap with chicken filling and arrange them in the baking pan with the seam side down.
- Pour and spread the remaining sauce evenly over top, and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
How to bake it
- Bake at 350°F for 15-20 minutes until the melted cheese turns golden brown. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm with cilantro and sour cream, if desired.
The final touches
How to serve
Enchiladas taste great on their own but are even better when served with rice and beans. Whether you prefer Spanish rice, white rice, or brown rice, you can’t go wrong. For beans, consider black beans, pinto beans, or refried beans.
How to reheat
Easily reheat enchiladas in the microwave. Cover the top, but allow the air to escape if they are in a container. Reheat in 20-second increments until hot. You can also reheat these easy chicken enchiladas in the oven at 350F for 15 minutes, or in the air fryer for 5-10 minutes or until hot.
So there you have it –the recipe for baked chicken enchiladas. This is a true Mexican classic –go ahead and give it a try the next time you’re having friends or family over!
Before you go, also check out these delicious Dessert recipes. A perfect complement to a great dinner.
8 servings per container
Serving Size1 enchilada
- Amount Per ServingCalories487
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat 20.8g 32%
- Saturated Fat 11.4g 58%
- Cholesterol 172mg 58%
- Sodium 827mg 35%
- Potassium 988mg 29%
- Total Carbohydrate 14.5g 5%
- Dietary Fiber 2.3g 10%
- Sugars 1.3g
- Protein 63g 126%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.